Prayer Requests 2/26/07
PROTW (prayer-request-of-the-week): Hard to get new pics of people, we're going old school, this is when I thought Alex was of Middle Eastern ethnicity.
Hi everybody!
Lately, I've been having thoughts that we all have, crying out, Lord, I want to do great things for you! But I'm so freaking lazy. When I was younger I would think as you get older you just become more responsible without much effort. That's all it took, just age. Well now that I'm older I realize that's not the case. Sure it took me 25 years to realize this, but by God's grace, better late than never :)! So now the the parable of the talents, Matthew 25:14-30, is no longer just a concept, but actual truth to me. Who knew the Bible actually applies to life?
I've been the man who received one talent and did absolutely nothing with it. I want to be the man who received 5 talents and produced 5 more, yet I don't want to do anything about it. I'd rather just fast forward to the part where I produce the 5 talents and not go through what's involved in getting there, a very lazy attitude. Basically I want to get to the end without going through the middle. So where am I going with all this? God is revealing to me that I should be responsible with the things I currently have. To be a good steward of my gifts and not worry about the rest. Lets move on to the specifics.
I have a great opportunity with my career, and instead of actively doing something about it, I'm content with where I'm at right now. I'm comfortable with burying my talent in the ground. There's a chance that my side job could become my full time job. My boss, Sheikh, is planning on taking his side company and expanding it. I have a chance of doing some big things with him and might even be a small partner of his company! So my prayer request is pretty simple. When an opportunity presents itself, I want to run with it! To not be lazy about it, worry about failure, concerned with how hard it might be, and just trust in Jesus. No matter what the outcome may be, I want to go for it, do it all for Him and not be concerned with the results. This doesn't only apply to future opportunities but my current responsibilities as well. May I have a Godly perspective of what's currently going on in my life and do my best for Him. To be a good steward of what God has put in my life.
Lastly, I'll be in San Antonio this weekend with Sheikh for work. Pray that I may be Jesus to him!
****Here's the Cliff Notes for those that don't want to read all that****
I'm the man with one talent and hid his talent and did nothing about it.
Prayer Requests
1) If an opportunity presents itself, run with it, and giving my best for Him.
2) Be a good steward with what's currently in my life.
3) Be Jesus to my boss.
~Alex

8 Comments:
Hey Everyone
Work has been going well these days, not too crazy and church has been going great. I am really thankful for Calvary and the opportunity to serve in their different ministries allowing me to get to know the members and reach out.
For this lenten season I decided to give up:
-TV (except college bball)
-Movies
-Secular music
So far its been going well with Sammy's accountability, but there are def. tough times where all I want to do is watch a movie or tv. I am really trying to fill this extra time with reading a good Christian book (Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline") and reading scripture (Gospels). I really want to experience and build a "personal" walk with God, in which I do things out of love and not just fear of Him. Thank Guys
This prayer request will be blessedly biased because I undeservedly just got mad blessed. I have been wrestling with lust lately and it has affected other parts of my life, i.e. watching too much tv, which is a complimentary relationsihp with lust, and sleep (my answer to avoiding lust). When actually my lent commitment was to stop taking naps. SO . . . I need to fight, but God is awesome ladies and germs. Today I was talking with my small grp leader about a member and how she has been struggling with her, I gave her a little console and advice and I went to pick up my kids. On the way, I just started praying out loud for that member and God just blessed me as I was praying. I felt like I was sharing his heart for our sm grp and I wanted to praise Him in thanks so I started playing my Delirious and singing real loud in my car. Then two of my boys got in, one is my Christian son, the other my lost and confused son. As my "Jesus" music was playing the non christian son started talking about Jesus, making fun of him, so I started to talk to him about Jesus, and low and behold I was able to detail out the full Gospel message to him in an informative way. I think I peaked his curiousity and desire for an answer and since he NEVER goes to church with the guys on Sundays or Youth Group on Fridays PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM, that GOD will work in His life, in the other kids that influence him, and through me! His name is Bryan aka Minsuk. Praying a lot about missions these days but God reminded me of my mission here, and how short of time I have left with these guys, please pray for me that I'd be on the mission field with them right now! GOD IS CRAZY, CRAZY AWESOME!
I'm on a massive binge of cleaning... what started as self-disciplinary action has turned into full-on scrubbing. I definitely need to let go of my self-comfort and my addictions. I always figured that i'm mentally strong enough to overcome anything, but honestly, i suck. I definitely need help from above and rely not on my own strength. Please pray that i really hold to my lent commitments, and that i depend on him completely. Thanx chicas.
Hey guys-
It's been a long time! SOrry..
Anyways, it's been good and bad. I have been going through my own difficult times- and I get discouraged through my own failures or looking at my OH so atrocious heart- but each time I am about to give up on myself, God picks me up.
I've been doing Experiencing God with our church- and it's really blessing. I love it.
Anyhow, I will be hearing from graduate school within this month- please pray that I will leave this up to God and that I may be open to any direction that God leads me.
Hope y'all are doing well- miss you guys!!
-herie-
God has really been placing on my heart my character..or lack of. I just finished 1 Peter and when i got to 2Peter, Peter listed characteristics to produce a fruitful Christian. All of them I'm lacking, but the one that got me was godliness (genuine reverence to God that governs ones attitude toward every aspect of life) When i read that i was so rebuked b/c so many times i throw that word around like its nothing. If someone were to look at my life would they think i was a Christian? And when they found out would it be something theyd want to be apart of? i live my life purely for myself, never having any sort of kingdom perspective. I realize Im such a self-condemning, self-righteous Christian...i judge myself and judge others leaving little room for grace. This has been a constant battle for me and i really need to tackle this with God. Soo...for lent i gave up sweets b/c its my escape (I miss peanut m&ms) and no tv (my other escape) until i do my QT. I need to meet with God.
i dont know guys..its so hard to see my heart and want to fight b/c sometimes it seems so hopeless. But amazingly God loves a wretched one like mine. thanks for your prayers! keep fighting and can we get more PR's please? its encouraging to read how youre all doing...the good..the bad..the ugly. we family:)
what up people.
here are my lent commitments:
1. no secular music
2. no home internet use till qts
3. pray when i wake up and sleep
needless to say #2 and #3 are broken on a consistent basis. but i'm trying. these days God keeps reminding me that he doesn't necessarily care of all that i give up for him or do for him--but he cares most about my heart. so i'm trying to really consciously make an effort to do things with a better attitude. doing things because i want to because God's good to me, not because i have to. so please pray that happens.
thanks guys,
esther
Hey guys,
Good hearing from everyone. Dang Alex, that was a sweet prayer request - I'm encouraged! Mine is similar - I feel like such a mediocre Christian sometimes, but I want to experience more of God. Something that Tim Keller said hit me hard: "Do you want more of God in your life? You have to attempt great things for him in your life. It's as simple as that." I want to take more risks with people - whether it's talking to a stranger about the gospel, being more vulnerable and open with small group members, or spending more time with people even though I won't get anything in return. I'm kind of tired of being lukewarm. Thanks guys.
Mark
hey everyone, it's really encouraging to read your prs. i can see how people's PR's are changing as time goes on.
lent : reducing computer time to one hour a day.
other applications:
- memorizing psalm 119
- practice putting on the armor of God every morning and night (read an article in the urbana newsletter about this)
- to love people with Christ's love. period.
PR : to fall in love with Jesus again. i've lost a heart of love. and all i've got now is a super distracted heart, and a discouraged heart as i see how my pride hinders ministry.
also, to find joy in work. need to build character in this.
Post a Comment
<< Home